Saturday, December 26

Candy Cane Lane



Abby got Candyland for Christmas this year. She does enjoy games. We're kinda surprised by this. She's pretty good about following the rules, listening to directions, and really paying attention to the cards she draws or the squares she lands on. Our only problem with her games, as bored parents, is how slooooooooooooow she is during her turn. We should be more patient, and encourage her learning and attention span, but my god, man, MOVE will ya?!?!?!?

Candyland is interesting now. I remember how our board game looked when we were kids. I hunted around for a picture of it on the net and only found this thing that looks like it's made from jellybeans.



But that's how I remember it. It's weird to look at today's version. For today's children all the art has been modernized, the characters revamped, and the game over-accessorized. Of course. For those of you who don't have children, and who might not have seen it yet, here's the box top:



Abby first saw the new Candyland characters in a small board book she got last Easter. It certainly was colorful. Little wonder that she loved to look at the pictures and the relatively iconic figures on each page. And then, while walking through stores, she couldn't help but point out all of the accessories for Candyland. There's the game pieces to add to the game, plus figurines, key chains, gumball dispensers, rugs, you name it. Yuck!







King Kandy's castle, a foot tall plastic castle, was probably Abby's favorite. (Mine too if truth be told. I do love castles.) But geeze, we try so hard not to encourage "branding" and the general brain washing that comes with it. Right now, I think we're doing good. But gosh, I know that when Abby starts school, we're going to be fighting a losing battle from the branding that friends at school will be into.

Wait a minute. Back the licorice train up. What do you mean by "branding?" Everything is branded. What's the harm? Well, that's kinda the point. Everything is branded.

Take for example the Disney princesses. Practically every little girl in America is familiar with one or two or all of Disney's princesses. There's princess dolls, dress-up clothes, shoes, costumes, make-up for goodness sakes, plates and cups, curtains, bedding, backpacks, car seat covers, window clingers, interactive online games, movie sequels, you name it. Suddenly, your little girl's world could be surrounded by all things Disney. She could eat, sleep, bathe, talk, think, dream Disney princesses. And you can bet she'll be exposed to that pretty little, harmless Disney logo on everything too. Pretty soon she'll learn that that logo means things like good, wholesome, friendly, family values, innocence, fun, silly, socially approved, and in all other ways acceptable. And those words might be good descriptions for the Disney corporation. But I also think that there are plenty of bad words that could describe Disney - and especially the princesses. So Lee and I try to be very conscious of branding in our home. We strive for a balance.

Needless to say, I didn't purchase King Kandy's castle (though I liked it too). We just walked on by. I'm not going to be all stuffy and ask why they had to reinvent the original because it was better. Naw, I actually like this version. But I will say that I hope this game remains just a game. As it should.

Hey, wondering what to do with your left over candy canes? Or just can't say no to the candy canes on sale at the stores for 10 cents a box? Try this brownie recipe or these other ideas for candy cane treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts