Wednesday, August 22

Cool Weather, Redwoods & Horses!

Sorry I haven't blogged for a while. I haven't been in the mood to blog much these last couple of weeks (I'll explain more later.)



But I did want to slap something down about my family's trip to Fortuna, CA. We went up there because Shawna works with a state program that assists special needs kids with getting jobs out of high school. One kid in particular, a great guy named Tony, was excelling in Eureka. She had checked on him often. Recently, he got a job tending to horses just outside of Fortuna.



We asked if we could come visit, check out his latest job, and learn about horses. I thought this would be wonderful for Abby.



We did have a fun time. Abby especially enjoyed the baby horses.



And we all got to take a turn riding a horse.



Because none of us were comfortable riding a horse, we only rode around in circles in a pen. Abby even got to ride once by herself with Lee leading the horse.



Our horse's name for the day was Velvet. We also got to groom Velvet and then wash her down after riding her.



Cleaning Velvet's hooves of muck:



This is Abby learning how to give Velvet a "horse's hug."



After our horse fun, Lee talked us all into driving to the Trees of Mystery.



I'm decidedly glad we went once we did. I had told Abby to expect a giant Paul Bunyan at the entrance but I didn't tell her anything about the fact that Paul will occasionally talk to the visitors. I didn't know whether or not they would be doing it. So I told Abs to go say hi to Paul, not knowing what to expect, and Paul said hi right back! Nearly scared the pee outta Abby!! Too funny. From there, Abby had a great time - until she dropped her ice cream cone in the dirt...

Here's Abby and Lee on the sky tram ride up above the redwood trees. Such a funny shot!


I haven't had the chance to load up all my "good" camera shots, so we're making do with my cell phone shots.

After the redwood excursion we did our other normal favorites while in the area. Of course we visited the beach. Rock and shell collecting were our past times...



Of course we went to the Lolita Cheese Factory.



Abby saying cheese while eating cheese!



This time, we participated in their garden scavenger hunt. Abby had a blast with that too!






And of course we went to the rock museum.





It was rough fitting in all of these activities. Some mornings had to start out pretty early. Even Abby started drinking coffee!



Just kidding! There's only water in there!!!

We had a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts