Sunday, May 23

Big Girl Taste Buds

And I'm talking about me - not Abby.

Before Abby was born, I despised guacamole, salsa, avocados, black beans, and tons of other things that I won't go into now. The point was that before Abby was born, I had a whole different set of taste buds.

Lee has always been coaxing me to try new foods. I'd occasionally humor him and try something, wrinkle my nose, say "Blah," and then go back to my good ol' boring fare. He never gave up on me though. He'd always put something new in front of me. "Here try this." Or "this is so good, take a bite."

And then finally, after Abby, my taste buds grew up. Slowly, but to my great surprise, I started liking the things Lee would slide across the table to me. Meats, cheeses, veggies, mushrooms, entries, appetizers, even beer. What was one of the most surprising things I couldn't believe that I started to like?

Avocados.


No really, avocados have been a mystery to me. I'd see them at the salad bar, people standing in line just to get at them. There are burgers with avocados, turkey sandwiches with avocados, you name it. And people would always drool over them as if they were a delicacy that they never got at home. Of course, the shape of them, their unusual skin, and the giant pit inside did seem daunting. I mean, how do you cut up the darn thing anyway? I simply avoided them altogether and when I did chance upon them, and actually sample a taste, they seemed rather flavorless to me. Like water.

Then, a year or so after Abby was born, I accidentally ordered a turkey and avocado sandwich at a cafe. It was beyond fabulous. It was amazing. So then I started eating avocados at home. We put them in burritos, sandwiches, and on the side of just about anything. They were fabulous!

I ate them with unabashed greed, delighting in perfecting my ability to crack them open, slice them up, and serve them with flair. I think it was about two or three months of avocado gluttony before the first stomach pains came. At first it was just a twinge of cramp. I had probably eaten too many that day and was paying for it with indigestion. I let it pass then waited a day or two before diving back into my avocados. Within 30 minutes of finishing my delicious meal, I felt the twinge of cramp again, only much, much worse. There was no way I had over-eaten avocados that day. I only had 1/4 of one with lunch. What the heck was the problem?

I didn't feel up to my normal eating patterns for about three days after that stomach ache. I laid off all avocados for about three weeks. Then Lee made a dinner that just screamed for avocados to compliment it, and I couldn't resist slicing up one whole one for us to share. I took no more than three bites, maybe 1/8 of the whole avocado, and my stomach immediately knotted up. I couldn't even finish dinner.

I have no idea if I'm allergic to them. Maybe it's something else; who knows? I do know that I am forlorn. Alas! Woe is me! I have tasted the forbidden fruit. Well, forbidden to me anyway. I never would have thought that I could love avocados so much and now be denied them forever.

Stupid taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts