I can't help it because it works! Sort of...
The latest bribe came about from a trip to Target for socks of all things. Of course we just had to walk past the toy aisle... Abby spotted another play dough kit that she determined she just had to have. It was a cake making station. She actually made pretty convincing arguments for getting the kit. You know, like if she practiced on this then she could help Grammy in the kitchen more. Or she could make special "surprise" cakes for me and daddy because she loves us so much. (Hmmm, who's bribing whom here?) But the best argument was that "maybe when I growed up, I can be a cake maker." Now what mother could refuse tools and resources that might become a career for their little one?

I was ready to cave but only upon a few conditions. First, Abby would have to do a much better job at cleaning her room without complaining. "Yes," Abby agreed willingly. Second, Abby would need to do her three activity pages (Pre-K "educational" sheets from a book that's suppose to develop school-type exercises) without complaining. "Yes, yes," Abby agreed eagerly again. Third, I went on, she would have to sit on the big girl potty at least once a day and try to go potty. That's once a day for a week! Now Abby's face fell and she considered in silence for a little while. "Even Grammy's potty and store potties?" Yup even those, if we're there and you have to go. Abby studied Target's floor for a little while and then agreed. I reminded her that she has to live up to her bargain for seven days before she'd get the new toy. "I know, I know, Mommy," she exclaimed while hopping up and down.
And she did it. We went home and she started to use "the big people's potty" that very night. The next day she didn't hassle Lee about her activity pages or cleaning up, and she reminded him that she needed to sit on the big potty.
She's been using it ever since. Unless it's a "potty emergency" - then Abby runs straight to her little potty because she doesn't need anyone's help with that one anymore.
When she finally earned her toy, Lee and I wound up playing with it too. It is fun!

Abby's creations:

My creation (I couldn't help myself - it was impossible to stop playing with it):

The play dough that came with it has a different consistency/texture to it. It seems more light and fluffy than normal play dough. And the colors make the whole thing pretty enough to eat.
The down side to the bribe - Abby got a HUGE attitude about three days after earning her toy. HUGE! In fact, when I threatened and then actually took away her cake making kit, for not cleaning up as a matter of fact, she seemed unimpressed with the toy being put away for a couple days. Hmmmm, maybe this bribing thing isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts