Abby and I had a special day with Grammy. We went to the Discovery Museum, a place Mike and I had known when we were kids. Geeze is it different now! Its primary focus is geology and space stuff - with a couple live animals and bugs thrown into the mix. Really, I don't know why they bother. It's gotta be a bear to maintain the animals' living spaces. As the spectator it doesn't seem worth it. I mean, there was a porcupine, two rabbits, a great giant African toad, turtles, fish, crazy insects, and that's about it. Yawn.
But the geology stuff was awesome - and so easy to maintain! Abby had a blast. Especially with the fossils. Dinosaur fossils. I'm pretty sure that Abby didn't need either me or Grammy to read the labels. Heck, she helped us pronounce the names of most of the dinosaurs. She stepped up to one display, assessed it quickly, and said "This one looks like it's about Ammonites." Grammy and I stared at her for a moment, wondering what she just said. Then we glaced at the main title above the display, and sure enough, it read Ammonites. Holy cow! Neither one of us even knew what ammonites were...
One of three times, I think, where we actually got to explain something to Abby rather than the other way around...
Making a rub-drawing:
There was also a dinosaur play room, which Abby simply loved.
Touching a giant crocodile's skin, speculating that maybe this is what dinosaur skin felt like. Weird...
After that we moved on to other geology stuff, including the thorough examination of all sorts of rocks.
Grammy explained the volcano process.
We also played with magnets.
Then we went into the animal room.
There was a cabinet in there with holes for kids to stick there hands in to guess what's inside. Abby was a lot braver than last year. Last year she would never have stuck her hand inside something she couldn't see. This year though, no problem. It's amazing what a difference a year can make.
When we left, Grammy bought Abby a bucket of dinosaurs. Abby is soooooo lucky to have such an awesome Grammy!
It was a great day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts