Thursday, June 9

Micro-gardening

That's what we're doing this year -- micro-gardening. It means taking a small portion of land, or a mixture of pots, to grow a few vegetables or herbs for yourself. For us, having pesticide free, organic produce is a must. Knowing exactly what went into our own plants is even better!


We don't have enough money to finish the front yard the way we want, landscaping-wise, and we don't have enough money for all the plants we want either, so for now, we're micro-gardening. My plan is to sprinkle the front yard with some edible plants and herbs, like chives (common, they're cute!), rosemary, thyme, sage, and garlic.

But for now, we're micro-gardening. I took two giant tubs and turned them into planters. We planted thyme, chives, three types of loose leaf lettuce, onions, potatoes, garlic, strawberries, rhubarb, and sunflowers. Sounds like it would be a pretty big garden, but nope. It's all crammed into various pots around the back yard. We've had great luck with everything so far, except the rhubarb. Apparently its roots are tasty to some critter or another - we're thinking possum - because a careless hole was there one morning and more than half the roots were gone. Fine. We didn't want to grow rhubarb anyway...

I would say I have a slightly greenish thumb. I know I learned a lot from my mom. Lee, however, has no green on any of his fingers. But he's learning quick. He totally liked the idea of growing some things for ourselves, but he was unsure of how he could help. He even stressed and worried over his watering technique. Was he watering too much? Not enough? Now though, he thinks it's zen. It's kinda calming to nurture and take care of something so fragile. To watch it grow. You might be thinking, well, hello there. You're raising a kid aren't you? It's kinda the same thing. Well, you'd be right, but I can tell you one thing. Your garden plants don't talk back, throw a fit, or pout. Gardening is way more zen than raising a kid!!

Just last week the lettuce was ready to eat. Tonight, Lee made us burritos for dinner, and we added a few leaves of our own lettuce to the top. Yum yum yummy!



I gotta say, it's a tiny garden, but I'm pretty proud of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts