Mike and I went camping again. And again we went somewhere new. This time we went somewhere that we had actually been trying to get to for a couple years. Our timing was just always off. And there's one thing we've learned while camping - we just shouldn't force things. The more we push to make something happen, the more dangerous things usually become. We've done this time and again while camping and it always turns into a huge mistake. So, we've never forced getting to Wrights Lake. I was kinda concerned that we wouldn't make it again, but everything worked out as easy as pie.
And what a beautiful place to camp!
The camp ground was filled with rather yuppie people. I mean there were BMWs parked in camp spots. Sheesh. But you know what? The place was filled with respectful campers. The only loud people was a group of families with little kids. Everyone else was so quiet that you forgot that you were in a camp ground full of people. This was so much different from Loon Lake. It was so nice.
On Saturday, Mike wanted to go on a hike to Smith Lake. It was only a 2 mile hike there and a 2 mile hike back. No problem. So I agreed without looking at the map. Had I looked at the map, I might have noted that the topographical lines on the map were right on top of each other and that there was more than a thousand foot gain in elevation within one mile. In other words, this would be a two mile hike straight up. Ahhh!

We did actually enter Desolation Wilderness and had to get a day hike tag for it. Cool.

Here's me after a mile of hiking. And I wasn't kidding. I thought I was gonna die.

And the trail just continued up. Here's a shot of one of the more difficult parts. Can you believe that's the trail?!?

I kept telling myself that this hike has to be rated as a "difficult." I've been on "easy" and "moderate" and there's no way this was a moderate. Mike claimed he didn't know but I was starting to suspect that he had set me up from the beginning. He swore he didn't know what we were getting into before we went. Hmmmm.
One of the lakes on the way up: Grouse Lake.

Mike and I took a lot of photos:
Our destination! Smith Lake. Isn't it beautiful?
It really was an amazing hike. And the view was breath-taking - like standing on top of the world.
And the water was sooooooo clear. All that snow run off and no chance for the water to be polluted. You could see straight down to the bottom. Gorgeous.

And here is a shot of Kali after 5 minutes at Smith's Lake. Ummm, I think she was as tired as we were!

All in all, it was someplace I would certainly come back to. I don't think I could take Abby on that hike up, up, up into the mountains though. On Sunday, before we left, Mike and I discovered a trail that wound around the meadow and Wrights Lake. It was nice and flat and had many bridges.
And it ran around some very pretty scenery. Now Abby could handle that hike with no problem. I think we'll come back for sure...
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts