Saturday, May 4

Of A Different Color

It’s been a while again. Sorry about that, everyone. It’s been really hard focusing on family life documentation. It’s been really really hard thinking of something light and positive to talk about as well. I’m just not in the right frame of mind…

So, what’s new?

Abby continues to play with the girl next door. It’s pretty cute. They get along pretty darn well. Here they are both wearing peace sign shirts without any prior planning. They just happened to match that day!


Both girls are fairly sensitive, have a great vocabulary, seems to prefer one-on-one play rather than large groups, and I’m fairly pleased to say that I can tolerate her mom really well. For me, that’s saying a lot. I think you all know how terribly picky I am. And, of course, if the girls get along and the moms get along, then you know we’re off to a great start! And I have to say that it can be a real tear jerker for me when I see Abby do something terribly sweet for her new friend. It makes me think of my life-long friendship with Jenny and all the trials and tribulations we’ve been through.

Check it out! Abby and I scored a life time supply of nail polish!!


So there’s a story behind the 30+ bottles of nail polish Lee brought home from work one day. Apparently, his boss’ eldest daughter was caught doing naughty things on her cell phone! So the dad, Lee’s boss, took away her phone and all her nail polish. And he gave it away to Lee to give to us. Now, it’s totally awesome to get a bunch of free nail polish, but there’s so much and so many weird colors. Seriously, this will last me and Abby 15 years or more! I’ve been trying them out slowly but surely. I’ve come to the conclusion too that neither I nor Abby looks good with dark polish on and Abby should never be allowed to wear red polish either – not until she’s 21 at least!

I take Abby, almost every Saturday, to a free craft event at a local store. Score again, right?! It’s awesome! It’s totally free and my kid gets to make a mess somewhere else and the store folks have to clean it up. It doesn’t get much better than that folks! The lady who normally runs the craft table is a doll. She and Abby are really developing a bond. I’m trying to encourage it by stepping way back and letting Abby socialize with other adults. If I hear a rough patch, I’ll usually follow up with Abby after the craft is over. For example, the craft lady was trying to hint for Abby to do her a favor by helping out another kid at the table who was uber shy. Abby didn’t get the hint. Anyhoo, Abby was asked to help the craft lady create a couple additional crafts to be used as the sample crafts for the coming weeks. Eventually, one of Abby’s crafts made it to the wall of crafts at the back of the store. Ooooo, I got a little crafter following in my footsteps…


Another new event was family art night. Lee’s side joined us for an evening of loud music, alcohol and art. I didn’t take any photos this time around, because, let’s face it, I was enjoying my alcohol! So I didn’t get to capture anyone else’s work. So here’s just mine. I was feeling very uninspired that evening – no, it wasn’t because of the alcohol. It probably had more to do with the fact that I tried to clean up the house in a frenzy of activity all the way up until the 5 minutes before the guests arrived. It’s such a pity my house can’t magically clean itself. Why don’t I have a maid yet?? I was too tired to be inspired to create my own work of art so I copied someone else’s.


Sad I know, but I was pleased with the results. After I was finished I was inspired to try something different with the canvas, so I will probably paint over this “masterpiece” again. This is my second attempt on this particular canvas. My first one was truly of my own creation and parts of it were good, but overall I wasn’t happy with it, so I painted a van gogh over it! Abby did two paintings and Lee completed none. I think he was more into his beer that evening! I was pleasantly surprised when one of Shawna’s guests, Genesis, presented me with one of her paintings. It’s a very simple design, but I like it a lot. I’m going to take that one to work with me. Maybe my van gogh rip off will go to!

So that’s about all I have for now. We’d like to plan a road trip soon, but I just don’t know if we’ll get around to it. Abs is nearly finished with school and I’m just dying for her to be finished so we can do more things, like camping and road trips that don’t have to happen on the weekends… Until then, I’m holding my breath that she doesn’t get sick again. This year has been as challenging as last year with colds and keeping her in school the prescribed number of days. Sigh. Fingers crossed we make it until summer break with no more colds!


No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts