Friday, June 5

Simple Fun

After last weekend's camping fiasco, I was in need of much more simple fun with my family. While staying local, within budget, and uncomplicated, we decided to check out the Nimbus Fish Hatchery. When we first arrived, the place was loaded with signs. "Park here," "don't park here," "watch out," "dangerous intersection," "do not block," blah blah blah. Talk about uninviting. Plus, the visitor center was hard to locate unless you knew exactly where to look. Once we got the hang of the place, we had some fun. Abby met a girl in the visitor center and we all talked. The talking fish heads were kinda disconcerting, but Abby enjoyed them.





What was truly fun were the "raceways." They are long streams where baby fish and youngsters swim. Plus, you can feed them. This was hands down the most fun. Abby got a huge kick out it, so I know we'll be coming back soon. According to all the signs, the best time to return is in November when the fish ladder is open for the spawning salmon. The whole place will be jumping then.

For a little mother/daughter/grammy time, we went to the Folsom Zoo and spent a few hours roaming around. Abby liked the park, and the zoo, but she insisted on riding the train - twice.






Just look at that face!


The zoo has really expanded since the last time we were there. There's a bigger bear section, and they're working on adding a larger wolf and wolf/hybrid area. Too neat. I really got a kick out of the bear and cougar exhibit. Maybe it's because of all the camping I do. I have a more than healthy fear of bears and mountain lions, so I guess it was nice to look at them up close and personal - rather than imagining them attacking me in the woods!





And then, for more mother/daughter time, we had a slumber party in our living room. We set up sleeping bags and pillows, created our own little nest, stayed up late, watched TV (cartoons), and talked. We even played with some glow sticks.





It was a lot of fun. I needed that. I feel like I'm away at work too much. I even feel guilty because I enjoy my job, which means I enjoy my time away from Abby. And then when I'm home, I rush to catch up on chores and errands. I thought that last weekend's camping trip would be fun, but it was an awful lot of work with only a few moments of "Awww, I'm so lucky to have such an amazing daughter." Taking smaller, simpler trips work better. I feel I have the time to appreciate my family that way. I guess simpler really is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts