Abby and I went camping with Mike and his new girl, Rebecca, last weekend. We had a good time.
For those of you excited to hear the scoop about Mike's girlfriend, and I know there's a lot of you out there dying to hear the gossip, here it is. I really like Rebecca. Lee likes Rebecca. Abby likes Rebecca. Everyone likes Rebecca. So, just to be a Negative Nancy, that'll probably mean they'll break up. I hope they don't though.
What I like about Rebecca is that I can actually have a conversation with her. She's smart, speaks in more than one syllable, and enjoys interesting things. She likes to travel, play outdoors, tinker with photography, and tease Mikey. What's not to like about that??
We had some interesting conversations while sitting around the campfire at night. During the day, I was trying to keep up with Abby. And I was impressed with her. Oh sure, Abby acted up, got into trouble a couple times, wouldn't stop collecting garbage around the campsite as she did the last time, and was grumpy with lack of sleep - but she did pretty good. She was far more adventurous this time. She had more stamina to keep up with us big kids. And she seemed to have a better understanding of camping things. It cracked me up when she suddenly noticed that we didn't have a refrigerator at the camp site.
One evening after dinner, Rebecca suggested we climb a nearby hill (fairly tall) to watch the sun set. Abby wasn't quite finished with dinner, but it sounded like a good idea. We'd catch up with them in a bit. Plus, it'd give the two lovebirds some alone time. Awwww. Anyway, Abby and set out about 15 minutes later. We held hands for a while. Abby chattered away about Uncle Mikey's Landcruiser and how much fun we had earlier that day. Then, out of the blue, she said she wants to not get lost. I assured her that we'll not get lost climbing this little mountain and that we'll find Mikey and Rebecca. She said that she wants to learn how to not get lost. Oh! Delighted, I said I'd teach her how and that she just needs to practice.
My little girl wants to learn how to not get lost. Awwwwwwwwww.
So anyway, Abby keeps chattering along, while we're climbing the hill, and I noticed that the sun is setting. We're not going to make it to the top before the sun is completely gone. So we stopped to rest for a bit. I took out my camera and started snapping a few shots (which turned out great if I say so myself!).
I took one of Abby with the top of the mountain behind her, our goal within reach.
Then I put my camera away and we resumed our trek upwards. We met Mike and Rebecca - who also didn't make it to the top before the sun set - and we all finished the climb together.
And then I realized something. My little girl had climbed the whole route all by herself. I didn't have to pick her up over rough patches. I didn't have to carry her at all. It was amazing.
I told her how proud I was of her for being such a big girl and then I gave her double high-fives. Abby did a little dance. Then, she got a major attitude and she went on time-out while at the top of the hill. Sheesh. Kids!
Even still, I'm pretty proud of her this trip. I was really pleased to see how much she had grown between the last camping trip and this one. Plus, she did so many things all by herself. What a little camper I've got! I'm so excited!
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts