Wednesday, August 5

Hair Cut from Oz



Abby got her first true hair cut the other day. When Abby was a wee bairn, Granny snuck in a few trims on the sly, as if we wouldn't notice. But Monday was her first real hair cut.

Being completely resistant to the idea from the beginning, we had to really work her up to the idea. Of course, had we known what would ultimately work the best, we wouldn't have bothered with the rest.

First, Abby came with me to the hair dressers and watched Mommy get a hair cut. Abby liked the giant bib I wore and chatted with the hair dresser just as friendly as could be. But when she offered to have Abby sit in one of the big chairs by herself, Abby flatly refused.

Later, I talked with her about the hairdressers' and we often pretended to cut each other's hair. Abby liked to squirt my hair with a squirt bottle and then give me a little trim by using two sticks to cut it. I would thank her for the trim and hand her two quarters for a job well done. Then we'd switch positions and I'd 'cut' her hair with the two sticks.

When it came right down to it, however, we just needed The Wizard of Oz and my laptop. Abby was begging to watch "Dorothy sings the bird song" (meaning the Over the Rainbow song), and I told her that she could watch it only if I could cut her hair. To our shock, she agreed. Even more shocking was her willingness to go through with it.

So, I set up the laptop in the kitchen, popped in The Wizard of Oz, and pressed play. Lee sat Abby on a kitchen chair, gathered some towels together and bundled her up in them like a hairdresser's smock. In no time I was cutting her hair as she sat motionless, watching Dorothy journey to Oz.



Before she knew it, I was done. Lee and I took pictures, cleaned up, and started a load of wash before Abby even looked up. Ahhh, the awesome power of the TV.

Take a look at her face when the witch takes Toto away from Dorothy. Abby thought she was a mean lady.



No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts