For instance, she likes to stack toys. On any given day, you can usually find a tower like this somewhere in her room.

Or there are objects lined up in a row.

It drives me insane to get her to clean her room some days. At times, I'll come home from work, set my purse and keys down in their designated places, walk into the living room and gasp. It's a disaster. Like a toy box threw up all over the carpet, couch, coffee table, and down the hall. sigh. Another little white hair sprouts on my head...
Yesterday, I came home, set my keys and purse down, and almost immediately tripped over scattered toys in the kitchen. With exaggerated steps, I pick up my feet over the landmines to put a dirty cup in the sink. Turning around I see a row of "friends" sitting on the edge of the counter top - all propped up as if waiting for a show. I had to laugh.

She also has to collect things. I think it's because she likes to group stuff - for towers, stacks, and rows. She's always looking for similar objects. She's a self-proclaimed collector too. And it doesn't matter what she's collecting. Sticks, rocks, squeezey toys, stuffed animals, stamps, stickers, money, sand, sea shells, strawberries, you name it.
On one hand, you'd almost think that that would mean she keeps her room fairly organized. You know, all the food toys with food toys, all the stuffed animals with the other stuffed animals. But, alas, that is not so. How she keeps her room is all about what she's currently "grouping" at the moment. For example, she has a small collection of dollar bills and coins (real and fake). Is all the money together in her purse? Nope. Maybe today she's decided that everything with a number printed on it should go together in a jumbled pile in the middle of the floor. Or maybe everything with shiny metal should be stacked on her rocking chair. One can never know what it'll be on a given day.
Fallout from this "grouping" disease is that Abby is constantly picking up trash. Trash on the sidewalk. Trash in the store. Trash in the seat cushions of a restaurant. Talk about annoying. Only recently did we correlate her favorite movie with the excuse for picking up garbage too. Just today she said, "When I grow up, I'd like to be a trash collector."
Hmmmm.
"Well that's a nice thing to want to be, sweetie. Why?"
"I like collecting garbage. And don't you know that Wall-E picks up garbage too?"
Ohhhhhhhh. That explains it.
Speaking of "grouping." Abby has been insisting lately that she get the same food on the same plates as we do. Meaning - no more cutting up her food into tiny chewable pieces, and no more using plastic plates and cups for her. She also wanted to get out of her booster-chair and sit on the "big girl" chairs like us. (We're turning everything into "big girl" stuff to try and get her excited about using the potty like a big girl. Nothing is working for her in the potty department.)
Tonight we did it. She got her food, uncut, on a glass plate. And she got to sit on a "big girl" chair - just like the rest of us. She's doing good.

Poor Lee though. Now he's "grouped" with us "big girls!"
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts