I was super excited to share Christmas with Abby last year. I thought, "Okay, she's going to get it this year. All the presents, sparkling tree, and candy canes will really make her eyes pop." Well, that was sort of true. It wasn't like how I imagined it though. I was expecting some real cognitive recognition from Abby of what Christmas is. But last year it just seemed to be a couple days of entertainment and that was it for her. There was no spark. No magic.
But not this year.
This year the magic is here. This year Abby understands what Christmas means. This year she's into all the Christmas stories, Christmas songs, Christmas decorations, and Christmas lights. She jumped up and down when Lee announced that today was the day to put up the Christmas lights. She dutifully reminded us day after day that we still needed to get a Christmas tree. She willingly "wrote" in Christmas cards, helped me address them, and even put the stamps on herself. She requests Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer story every night before bed and chants most of the words from memory. She delights in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and even stated that she was brave enough to go talk to Santa in person.
And it's not just all the Christmas stuff. She's also into the Christmas spirit. Here's what she told us last night just before bed (after yet another re-telling of Rudolph). "I wish that all my friends could have a dream and that all their dreams could come true." Ohhhhhhhhh. Isn't that sweet????
A memory I'll treasure from this holiday season was when Grammy accompanied us to Old Folsom for some casual window shopping. We entered a tiny shop off Sutter Street and entered a world full of Christmas ornaments. One of my personal favorites, with Abby's whole-hearted agreement, was a Christmas tree decorated with ornament sweets. Sugar cookies, cupcakes, cakes on stands or single slices, donuts with frosted glaze and sprinkles, taffy candies and lollipops. It looked deliciously sweet. Abby and I stood there drooling for a few minutes before Grammy shooed us on. We hunted around and finally found the ornament we had come seeking. A Rudolph ornament of course! Abby was enchanted and once we bought it, she insisted on keeping it in her own pocket. Now it hangs on our tree in a spot Abby personally selected. Thank you Grammy!
So I am absolutely loving this magical Christmas with my little girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts