Tuesday, March 16

Rashness

So I was sitting at work, covering the main post since we were short handed, when the desk phone shrilled its special bat-phone ring. What ho? An emergency? Sure enough. I scanned the display and it read 911. I reversed the call, trying to discover if the caller had accidentally dialed 911 - hey, it happens all the time at work. But I couldn't reach them. Ah oh. That usually means they're still on the phone with 911 dispatch.

I jumped onto the computer and immediately started searching for the caller's co-workers, anyone in the immediate area who might be seeing what's going on. I needn't have bothered. The caller's supervisor called to confirm that it's an authentic 911. A woman was having some sort of respiratory problem and was currently hyperventilating. On top of that, the supervisor stated, she's known to have a heart condition.

I called my team into action. Everyone knew what to do and we all responded as our post's training states. For my post, I acted as the communication hub and made sure the inbound emergency vehicles got onto the campus and into the correct building. As I scanned the cameras, waiting for the EMTs, my computer bonked and a preview pane popped open for an email I had just received.

It was Lee. There was a problem with Abby and a picture was attached. Immediately distracted from the task at hand, I opened my email to scan the text. Lee was worried. Should he take Abby to the doctor? Disturbed, I opened the photo to see Abby's bare back covered with an angry red rash. What? Where did that come from? Lee sent another text, describing the rash, relaying that it was covering most of her body, and he was certain she got it from playing at the park the afternoon before.

A whirling flash of light caught my attention and I looked up at the cameras. Here comes the fire truck. And there goes the fire truck. Heading towards the wrong building on campus - we have four. Dang nub it. I called my co-worker for him to hop into the truck to fetch the fire truck to the correct building. In less than a minute the fire truck was brought to the right building. With a click of my mouse, I opened all the exterior doors for the fireman and their gurney.

My phone rings. I answered professionally but tersely, in no mood to talk business while an emergency situation was under way. It was Lee. He was seriously worried about Abby.

While listening to him describe Abby's state, I forwarded his email and picture to my mother, hoping her experience would help solve the mystery of the rash. I also clicked open the internet and started searching for possible causes. Let's see, she was at the park - it could be a bug bite, allergies to grasses or weeds, some sort of irritant in the bark. Maybe it was something one of the other kids had? Maybe it was the nickle plating on the cheap-o necklace I had let Abby play with the night before? I still break out with a localized rash from the nickle. Maybe Abby was more allergic to it?

Another flicker of flashing light caught my eye and I see an ambulance arrive on site, this one headed towards the right building. (Of course, who could miss the giant fire truck parked out front?) I told Lee that I was in the middle of a 911 and needed to go. As the EMTs come up to the door, I clicked open the exterior door remotely and made sure they got in without incident. Once inside, I knew my team was waiting to escort them up to the right area of the building.

I texted Lee to put some hydrocortisone cream on one area of Abby's skin to see if it helps or makes it worse.

I called mom to have her check her email and look at the photo of Abby's rash. She suggested it was just a heat rash and to calm down.

The desk phone rang and my manager reported the outcome of the woman in need. The EMTs had given her oxygen. The ambulance would not transport her to the hospital. She was stabilized, and her husband was on his way. I passed along the information to HR and upper management.

I called Lee back and passed along mom's advice. He reported that the hydrocortisone cream was working and that he would slather it all over Abby. He seemed calmer. And Abby was doing better. It looked like all was ending well.

Just another day on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts