Thursday, October 28

First Sleep Over




Abby was so brave and went to her first sleep over - a slumber party for her best friend's birthday.

I had several problems with this sleep over. First, all the girls there were 6 to 8 years old. That's waaaaaaay older than little Abby. Second, I was specifically told that I could not go. Because all the other little girls there didn't know me, and their parents didn't know me, that meant I couldn't stay the night. The other parents wouldn't be comfortable with that. Sigh. Grudgingly I had to admit that that made sense. Nevertheless, I wanted to be there for my little 4 year old amongst all those 7 year olds... And third, well, IT WAS HER FIRST SLEEP OVER!! I couldn't take it. I worried, and worried, and worried, and worried. My brain told me she was safe. My brain told me not to worry. My brain told me that Abby could handle it and would even have fun. My brain told me to relax and enjoy my time away from Abby. But I couldn't. My little baby was growing up and I couldn't stop worrying about her.

She had a blast though. She hung out with other girls, played with other toys, interacted with different people, communicated in different ways, and she slept and ate at someone else's house. She was so brave. The one thing she didn't do was go potty. The entire time she was there, she did not once use the bathroom. Ouch! We really need to work on that...

While she was there, they made trick or treat bags, had a make-over session which included hair curling and crimping, hair color-on spray, fingernail polish, make-up, and body glitter. They also watched movies, played with play dough, ate special treats, played outside in the rain, got muddy, and just had FUN! It was so obvious that Abby enjoyed her time there.

But the best part of all was when the host mother said, "Abby is welcome back anytime. She was perfectly polite the entire time and a joy to have visiting." Now that's a compliment for us parents as well as for Abby.

I bet that won't make we worry any less about her the next time she attends a slumber party. Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts