OMG! We enrolled Abby in school!!
Ahhh - I can't breathe.
I feel so old. It felt so surreal. I still can't believe it. Walking up to the district school, holding my little one's hand, sweat pouring off me. I felt like I was looking at the school through a tunnel. You know how, as a kid maybe, you'd play with binoculars and flip them over to look out through the wrong end? Yeah, that's how I felt when we walked up to the district office to enroll Abby. And then, and then, the nice lady at the counter handed us a paper and printed there, as bold as day, the year Abby would graduate - 2024.
Gasp
The binoculars flipped back over.
The date slammed in my face.
The black ink was like a wall.
It bumped against my brain.
It crowded so close I felt the air escape my lungs.
2024? No. Really?
For the first time ever - EVER - I imagined my little girl graduating from high school. Ahhhhhhh!
It hit Lee too. He whispered, "Wow!"
The nice lady behind the desk said, "The graduation date?"
He could barely breathe, "yeah."
She laughed. "Everyone does that."
No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts