Thursday, December 22

The Cookie Storm



So I've been in the mood to bake lately. Of course, I just want to bake sweets. And I'm ok with that. I keep spying all these delicious recipes out there that I just HAVE to try. Mmmmm.

When Abby said she wanted to make Christmas cookies, in addition to the gingerbread house we make every year, I was on it. Heck yeah, we can make cookies, I said with glee. I was even looking forward to the added challenge of having her "help" to make them. I set up her own helping station and then dived right in.

A day and a half later, we were finished. And I never want to look at another sugar cookie again.

Well, maybe not until next year anyway...

So we made several batches of sugar cookies, some cut into shapes, some not. Some are frosted, some aren't. Some just have a sugar topping, some just sprinkles. We also made my all time favorite Christmas treat - holiday wreathes (basically just melted marshmallows and cornflakes dyed green). And I tried just one new recipe that I twisted to suite the ingredients I had on hand. It was basically a brownie bottom with added tangerine flavoring and a orange zest flavored frosting on top. It was super sweet, but they're suppose to be cut up into tiny bite sized pieces. A little bit goes a long way. I liked them.

Abby's helping station was a disaster. A perfect sugar storm. There were sprinkles on the counter, scattered on the floor, mashed into the chair. There was frosting stains in blobs and blotches in her hair, her clothes, the chair, the floor. She still has a green stain on her skin just below her right elbow. If there was ever any doubt that Abby did her fair share of the work, one just needed to check out her work station.



It took me a whole day to clean up after the cookie storm.

After a day and a half of mixing, cutting, baking, cooling, frosting, washing and repeating, and a solid day for clean up, we're ready for the gingerbread house. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts