Last weekend we completed our traditional gingerbread house – only it was a gingerbread tree this year. It came out looking really nice. We also completed it in record time this year too. Abby had the routine down. I really appreciated that it only took us 30 minutes compared to the usual two hours we were taking. It might have had something to do with the fact that it was just a tree and not a whole village of mini-houses like last year’s was. But, I like to think that it was because Abby knew what to do this year.
Here’s the tree in progress:
And the completed tree with all of Abby’s ornaments and embellishments:
This year Lee asked if we could actually eat the gingerbread. You see, usually, after spending 2 hours on the construction of the darn thing, I refuse to allow anyone to eat it. So it sits around, gathering dust and, possibly, sneezes and other gross things. By the time Abby or I am ready to part with it, it’s too gross to eat. So I wind up throwing it all away. Of course, during the decorating process Abby usually samples all of the candy and frosting, so it’s not like the kid is deprived of the sweets or anything.
So Abby agreed to right away sacrifice the gingerbread to watering mouths. I was more than delighted to do the same too because we only worked on it for 30 minutes. No problem. And the individual cookies smelled wonderfully gingerbread, so I was excited… until I tasted them. Yuck! It was awful. The cookie parts were fine. The frosting was disgusting. And, for having waited just one day after making the tree, the frosting had seeped into the cookie, making those portions soft and extra disgusting.
We haven’t eaten any since. Blah.




No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts