Thursday, May 23

Last Days

My former boss and I share lunch almost every day. Some of my co-workers say we see each other more now than we did when we were working together. Yeah, that's probably true. For one thing I need more mentoring now to deal with my new boss than I ever needed him for other problems before. He's really been helping me deal with the crap I've been dealing with at work. And, since he's retiring, we know its almost time to say good bye. So, yeah, we see each other a lot.

The other day we were returning from Subway when we saw a column of smoke nearby, just past VSP. Bart, without hesitation, drove straight by VSP and towards the fire. We wound up only wasting about 15 extra minutes chasing the grass fire. In fact, it was not far away at all. But what we discovered, traveling down a road neither one of us had traveled before, we found a crazy statue. Of course, and I mean of course because there was no choice for Bart because he HAS to stop at historical markers and the like, we stopped to find out what the statue was for. This statue was simply a dedication to all the men and women who served at nearby Mather Air Force Base. While we snapped photos of this kinda crazy statue, a meadow lark landed on the outstretched finger stabbing at the sky. The whole way back to VSP we debated whether or not it was a meadow lark.


And that's exactly the sort of thing I'm going to miss most about my former boss - daily, friendly banter about almost nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts