Tuesday, July 29

Long Time No Talk


Yes, it’s been a while. Eight months since I last posted anything. I was going through a really rough time last year. I had transferred to a new position and everything sucked. My posts started to sound like a broken record, complaining again and again about how unhappy I was. I decided to stop talking about it and just get through it. To get through it though, I had to really buckle down and work. I put in a lot of joyless hours on this stupid computer both at work and at home. So the last thing I wanted to do was spend more time on it writing. So I simply stopped.

Now I want to try writing again. I still work a hell of a lot more at home than I did 2 years ago, so I don’t know if I’ll really keep this up. But I want to try. A lot has happened over this year and I want to document it. Here’s why.

I was helping my mom go through her closet – I’ll explain why in a minute – when I came across an old letter. The paper envelope was aged and yellowing around the edges. An awesomely large and detailed stamp was in the corner, with an exotic ink stamp over it. Inside was a letter hand written by a relative who had traveled the world. She was in India when the letter was sent. I’m not even sure of the year, but I can tell you that their hotel stay was only $9 dollars a night. It was amazing to hear about her adventure years ago and half a world away. And to think that her great-niece was reading all about years and years later. It inspired me to continue my own journaling in this blog. I started it for Abby. I need to keep at it for her and for any other descendants who may be interested.

So, why was I helping my mom go through her closet? Because it’s really time for her to move on and move out. It’s time to say good bye to the homestead. We’re packing mama up. And it’s really, really, really hard. So many odd corners, forgotten treasures, and even meaningless junk can evoke strong memories. Heck, I found myself taking a picture of the garage wall where my dad had scribbled measurements directly on the drywall like a scratch pad.

There have been a ton of new things with Abby as well. I’ll play catch up a little later for her. For now, check out her two front teeth (or the lack of her two front teeth anyway!) What a lovely lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts