Abby started 3rd grade this week. Oh my gosh, where did the summer go? Where did my little girl go? I guess they both disappeared into the past… Yes, I’m tearing up.
She’s so big now, so tall, so beautiful. I’m so proud of her.
At the beginning of summer I challenged Abby to learn all 50 states and their capitols by the time school started. She gave it a good try. I think she learned about 20 states, their capitols, and 1 extra tidbit like their motto, their state flower or a historical fact. But she didn’t earn her prize, which was money. She had decided over summer that she wanted a fish. So, I took her out to the pet store to research exactly how much a fish would cost. Her grand total she came up with was $85! The price of each fish that she picked out was only 3 dollars. Abby was shocked. She quickly became committed to earning enough cash to get a fish. However she didn’t get money for learning the states. Too bad, kid!
I think this summer has been a lot about money for her.
Abby decided she not only wanted a fish, but she also wants to redecorate her room. So I told her we would support a room remodel, but only for a new bed. I’m embarrassed to report that she is still sleeping in her toddler bed. Head to toes, she still fits. Within inches though. It’s past time to get a new bed for her. The ideal bed would be a loft bed that would leave enough space underneath for a desk or something. She has a small room, and I want to ensure everything has a space saving aspect to it. A loft bed would fit the bill perfectly.
But for a room make over, Abby wants to change everything. I explained that a lot of that everything part would be up to Abby to earn. So we went shopping and gathered ideas and prices. Abby wrote down her findings for things she wanted that we wouldn’t pay for - $378! These things included wall décor, a floor pouf, a dressing/privacy screen, an ottoman/chest for storage and seating, a “fancy” mirror, new lighting, and a rug and some floor pillows. Huh. I agreed to buy a new bed and a desk and chair and shelves. Oh, and new paint. Her colors are black/white and hot pink and orange accents if you were wondering.
Seriously. But I’m on board if she can pay for her stuff. She says she’ll make it happen.
So how is Abby earning her money? By doing nothing! We read this article about the benefits of kids having an allowance. The article specifically called out the reasons to NOT attach allowances to chores. This is basically her learning money. She’ll make mistakes with it and we just have to deal. When she makes mistakes she will learn from it and not connect her “failures” to the concept of chores or working to earn money. We liked the theory so we’re trying it. Abby calculated that it will take her so many months to earn a fish and a year or so to earn her room! How’s that for a dose of reality?!
So, her missed opportunity of earning extra cash by learning all 50 states has really hit home for her with the end of summer. She’s already asked me for a new challenge. What should it be this time? How about the periodic table?!?
Here’s Abby at her new desk.
Here’s Abby hugging her teacher from last year with her new teacher standing just behind them.
Getting a hug from Abby’s old teacher made her morning and really made her feel special. She’s a caring kid, and I’m so glad to see that others recognize this and cherish it too.




No comments:
Post a Comment
UnMaintained Thoughts