Sunday, August 24

Our Summer Art Program


I have been obsessed with art this summer. I’m not sure why, really. I think we hosted only two art nights – where we invite folks over to listen to loud music, drink alcohol, and try to summon up their inner artist. I wanted to host a few more but it’s been pretty difficult keeping the house clean enough to have company over, and the free space needed for people to spread out with canvases and paint and everything. But, despite the lack of official art nights, I’ve been spitting out art like no body’s business.

I think it’s my best way of coping with stress. What with my crappy job (though it is getting better) and my mom gearing up to move (which means saying goodbye to the family homestead), I will not try to deny that I haven’t been stressed. So, I guess all this art calms my anxieties. You want to see some? I know you do!

This one is thanks to Pinterest. The inspiration piece was from a mom who said she wanted to always remember all of those stupid little toys that get jammed behind the couch cushions or stuffed in pockets that eventually go through the wash machine. These little toys are the ban of my existence. They drive me absolutely nuts. But I did see the sentimental value in always remembering these stupid little toys that are soooooo important to your little one. I mean, every time I go to throw one of them away, Abby shrieks and rushes at me as if it’s a nugget of gold. Heaven forbid I throw it away. So I collected several little treasures and glued them all down to a canvas. I added a little saying, “We heart fun.”

 

Then I painted the mess white and turned the hearts red. I was pretty pleased with the end result. Right now I have it sitting by the front door.

 

The next one was done on a giant canvas I got at an employee discount sale from work. VSP had some old art they wanted to throw out, so I swooped in and bought it for cheap. Then I sat on it for 2 months wondering what I should make on this giant canvas. Then one day at Lowes, I saw this piece for $60. I liked the subject. I have been wanting to incorporate more “California” images/things throughout the house. A year or so ago, Lee and I found some garage sale paintings we loved that were very California-ish. At least we thought so. I thought California poppies would be a perfect subject matter to add. So here’s the inspiration.

 

Here’s my version. I wanted it to be more 3 dimensional, so I added thick background paint strokes, some “drips” off the petals, and green glass chunks on the stems. I’m not totally happy with it, but I called it finished and hung it up in the master bedroom where I wanted more pops of orange.

 

I also just finished painting a gold tree which is HUGE. I hope to hang this in the TV room, but I’m struggling with a frame. How do I frame this bad boy in a realistically cheap way? I was thinking PVC pipe. I dunno yet, so that one is sitting in the garage until I can frame it.

 




But this next piece is my most favorite this year.

It started with a pathetically small metal piece from Ross. It was on sale for 15 bucks. So I scooped it up but then thought about making it bigger. Again, I drew from Pinterest for inspiration. So, I asked my welding genius (I use the term loosely!) brother to help add to the original art. I went to Lowes and grabbed about 10 bucks more worth of metal rods and went to visit Mike.

 

Lucky for me, he was in the mood to humor me and started to weld everything together per my specifications.

  

Go, Mikey, go!

 
  

I took the final shape home and painted it black and gold.

 

Here’s the finished piece, much larger and a little more impressive than the original. At least I think so. It’s hanging up outside now and I adore it. Thanks, bro!
 
I was also invited to a networking event through work to “The Painted Cork,” a cool little shop in old Folsom. We mingled, ate posh hor’dourves, drank wine and sat through an art lesson. I absolutely loved our subject too. We were to paint the Tower bridge, a local landmark in Sacramento. Now I would not have ever considered painting that bridge on my own. But, having decided to bring more California scenes into my paintings, I loved this! I was pretty happy with this one too and it’s hanging in my hallway.


Another painting I completed this summer was of the coast. After I finally got Lee and Abby to Pt Reyes, I was inspired to try my hand at painting the coast. I’m not too happy with this one, but I have it hanging in the hallway too. Abby has some framed art up there too. I love her "Scream" version!

 

I figured that I’d rather have my “eh” art hanging than collecting dust on the floor in the garage. It’s a good lesson for Abby too - don’t angst over imperfections. Enjoy what’s there.

Besides, I do it because it keeps me sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UnMaintained Thoughts